Applications to the NEXUS-NY program will be accepted through Sunday, Dec. 22, 2014. To apply, please go to the NEXUS-NY website, where the on-line application form is located.
NEXUS-NY is a 5-year, $6M NYSERDA-sponsored initiative that aims to accelerate the commercialization of clean energy innovations across New York State. NEXUS-NY - New Energy Xcelerator of Upstate New York - was founded based on several guiding principles, including:
- Clean energy innovations can be a catalyst for economic growth in New York State
- Basic research is a key strength throughout New York State
- Current innovation ecosystems are inefficient at translating clean energy research to the marketplace
NEXUS-NY will succeed by:
- Providing seed funding to novel, early-stage clean energy technologies, most of which would not be funded by other conventional sources
- Delivering an immersive learning program focused on idea validation through customer interaction
- Linking technology teams with experienced mentors and investors
NEXUS-NY will provide financial support to selected technology teams. These funds are not used for basic research but rather to allow teams to evaluate the commercial potential of existing research. NEXUS-NY funding allows technology teams to build prototypes and/or to conduct primary market research.
The program starts with an intensive 12-week, experiential process focused on customer identification, engagement and business model optimization. The NEXUS-NY teaching team will introduce and the technology teams will deploy agile development techniques based on the “Lean LaunchPad” model developed by Steve Blank at Stanford University.
Mentoring and Connecting
NEXUS-NY will assign each team a business mentor and provide access to industry experts, seed-stage venture fund managers and angel investors. Each team that completes the full program will be provided an opportunity to “pitch” to investor panels in upstate and New York City.